Overview Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards
- The AMVCA is an acknowledgement and celebration of the contribution made by Pan African filmmakers, actors and technicians to the success of the continent’s film & television industries.
- The AMVCA will honour the rich entrepreneurial and creative spirit of the African filmmaker.
- Winners will receive the prestigious AMVCA trophy.
- The AMVCA will endeavour to cultivate and inspire new talent within the various Pan African industries through its development programme.
- The AMVCA will take place in Lagos, Nigeria on March 4th and 5th March, 2017.
Submission Terms & Conditions
- By submitting an entry, the entrant agrees to accept the terms and conditions as set out in the submission form. Furthermore the entrant agrees to abide by the decisions of the AMVCA Executive Committee, the Executive Judge and Judging Panels. The entrant also warrants that the project is eligible for entry and that they have read and understood the terms and conditions for entry as set out in the guidelines.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series previously entered into or nominated for an award; or awarded a prize in another film and television competition are eligible to be entered for the AMVCA.
- All films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they were produced and broadcast or publically exhibited during the period October 1st, 2015 to September 30th, 2016.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series may be entered by individual filmmakers/producers, production companies, distributors or duly authorised representatives who can warrant that they are the owners of the copyright for the film, made-for- television movie or television series.
- You will be required to attach a typed full screen credit list as part of the online submission process. In the case of a television series, the submission must specify which episode the cast member appears in and/or crew member has worked on. In the event where the names provided on the submission form differ from the credit list; please note that the credit list information will be used to determine the entrant.
- Submissions may not differ from the exhibited or broadcast master. If the content is altered in any way the submission may be disqualified.
- In the case where an authorised representative, agent, manager, or production company facilitates the entry by completing the online submission form on behalf of an individual, the individual will be considered to be the eligible entrant.
- The entrant certifies that listed individuals have given permission for their entry, and that they have been provided with relevant information relating to the AMVCA as it pertains to them individually.
- Contact details of all individual entrants must be provided to aid in notifying category nominees of event details and other related awards communication.
- The entrant further agrees that should they be nominated in any one of the categories, that they shall either attend the gala awards event in person or ensure that a suitable representative is in attendance on their behalf at the gala event/s to be held in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Indigenous Language Categories refers to English, Hausa, Igbo, Swahili or Yoruba. No other languages will be accepted at this stage.
- The Best Short Film or Online Video category is open for short format original content created specifically for Cinema, Broadcast or use on Websites, Interactive Media, and for Mobile & App platform audiences.
- Best Short Film or Online Videos are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they were produced and broadcast or publically exhibited between October 1st, 2014 to September 30th, 2015.
- Submissions can be sent to either of the offices listed below. To submit your film digitally, first send us an email to email@example.com and we will send back instructions.
Attention: Hadizat Ibrahim
Mss Local Productions
4 industrial street,
off town planning way,
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
Attention: Neo Phele
137 Bram Fischer Drive
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
Attention: Margaret Mathore
2nd floor, M-Net Offices
Local Production studio
Jamhuri Grounds off Ngong Road
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
- Call for submission: Opens: 1st August 2016 Closes: 28th October 2016
- Only fully executed online submissions with a reference video clip of 2-3 minutes will be accepted.
- Unique reference numbers will be allocated to each completed online submissions. All further correspondence will require the corresponding reference number to be inserted.
- Once you have received the unique reference number you will be required to send a hard drive containing the submitted project.
- All films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they had been produced and broadcast or publically exhibited during the period October 1st, 2015 to September 30th, 2016.
- All entries must be submitted for judging exactly as presented during public exhibition or broadcast. No modifications may be made for purposes of the awards.
- The AMVCA Nominees will be announced on a later date which will be communicated.
- The category winners will be announced at the AMVCA gala event in Lagos on the 4th March 2017.
- For submitted drives to be returned, a detailed forwarding address will be required.
- For online submission support please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Judging Panel and Process
- The AMVCA Executive Committee will appoint the Executive Judge.
- The Judging Panels (for Round One and Round Two) will be selected by the AMVCA Executive Committee and the Executive Judge. The Judges will be selected from a wide group of media professionals. The Judges will be recognized experts in their respective fields.
- The Executive Judge will oversee selection proceedings and the judging process
- Round One
- The judging panel will determine which entries qualify for voting and Round two judging (nominees).
- The shortlisted entries (or Nominees) will be submitted to Round Two of the judging process. There are a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 Nominees per category.
- Round Two
- The judging panel will determine which Nominees are chosen as category winner/s.
- Viewers will vote to determine the winners of categories 1, 2, 3, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. Please refer to Section 5 of this document for more information on the voting process.
- Round One
- All entries will be assessed for correctness and completeness. Entries failing to meet any of the submission requirements will be rejected outright.
- Only correctly completed entries, with unique reference numbers will be reviewed by the judging panel.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series produced in Africa and the diaspora are eligible for submission.
- The Judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Results will be audited by the AMVCA appointed auditors.
- The judging panel for Round One will determine the Nominees for categories 1, 2, 3, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. Thereafter the names of the Nominees and their individual categories will be posted on the AMVCA website for viewers to vote for their winner.
- Viewers will cast their vote via available platforms which will include WeChat, WEB and/or WAP to determine select category winners.
- Viewers may vote from any country on the African continent.
- Vote numbers, rules, regulations and procedures will be made available on the AMVCA website at www.africamagic.tv
- Results will be verified by the AMVCA appointed auditors.
- Each entrant must submit a digital file or a hard drive of the Master film, made-for-television movie or television series (exactly as was screened or broadcast). If the same Film applies to more than one submission, please quote all related reference numbers. Please note digital delivery submission will require strong internet connectivity.
- Our primary delivery standard is HD 1920 x 1080i pixels in a full height 16:9 aspect ratio at 25 frames per second, also known as 1080i/25 (50 fields). This means that the HD picture must vertically and horizontally fill the 16:9 screen. Color should be sub-sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2. We only accept interlaced video. A delivery with a progressive scan will be rejected.
- Films and made-for-television movies should be between 60 - 150 minutes in duration. Television series should be 30 – 60 minutes in duration.
- Short Film or Online Video submissions may not exceed 30 minutes in duration. Any duration under 30 minutes will qualify as a Short Film or Online Video submission.
- Short Film or Online Video submissions will not be accepted in the following categories Best Overall Movie 2015, Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) Southern Africa, Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) East Africa or Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) West Africa.
- One neatly typed post production script (as was exhibited or broadcast.). The script should be in Size 12 Times New Roman font and stapled in the top left corner.
- A neatly typed Cast and Crew credit list (as was exhibited or broadcast.) The credit list should be Size 12 Times New Roman font.
- If the submission relates to a television series (drama or comedy) then the submission must provide detail with regards to the episode number as well as the cast and crew pertaining to the specific entry. Please provide photos for actor/actress category.
- Any entry that does not comply with the online submission requirements will be disqualified and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The entrant needs to ensure that the film copies are of a high visual and audio quality so as not to risk disqualification.
- Please provide copies without any branding or watermarks as it hampers the judging process. Watermarked content will be disqualified.
|1||Best Movie Southern Africa||X|
|2||Best Movie East Africa||X|
|3||Best Movie West Africa||X|
|4||Best Overall Movie 2016 (Africa)||X|
|5||Best Television Series||X|
|Best Indigenous Language (Movie/TV Series)|
|6||- Best Swahili||X|
|7||- Best Yoruba||X|
|8||- Best Hausa||X|
|9||- Best Igbo||X|
|10||Best Director (Movie)||X|
|11||Best Writer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|12||Best Actor in a Comedy (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|13||Best Actor in a Drama (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|14||Best Actress in a Comedy (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|15||Best Actress in a Drama (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|16||Best Supporting Actor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|17||Best Supporting Actress (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|18||Best Cinematographer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|19||Best Short Film or Online Video||X|
|21||Best Art Director (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|22||Best Costume Designer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|23||Best Lighting Designer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|24||Best Picture Editor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|25||Best Sound Editor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|26||Best Sound Track (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|27||Best Makeup Artist (Movie/TV Series)||X|